For a long while now, I've considered the quandary represented by the pilot cards and game balance.
Tips & Tacticas: Pilots Morale
Pilot Morale is important in Techniconica as it directly affects your chances of winning (or loosing).
Pilot's have 4 stats to consider when choosing one for your Mechs, namely Accuracy (AC), Re-Rolls (RR), Bottle Test (BT) and Fortitude (FO).
The two stats we are interested this time around are the last two, FO and BT.
- BT is a measure of how brave the pilot happens to be - a pilot with a lower BT will test for Morale more regularly than one with a higher BT as they take damage. You only need to take Bottle Tests when you sustain damage equal to or greater than to your pilot's BT stat, so having a higher BT means less Bottle Tests need to be taken.
- FO on the other hand is the required "target number" when taking a Bottle Test - again, the higher the better. Also remember that your Bottle Test roll is modified by the number of Mechs involved as well as the amount of damage dealt, so look for pilots with a high FO if possible, especially when fighting against Frightening weapons.
Special Rules Affecting Bottle Tests
We'll discuss the special rules which directly affect Bottle Tests briefly below.
- Anti-Mech Specialist: The Anti-Mech Specialist special rule doesn't directly affect Morale, but rather affects the amount of damage done - which does count towards Bottle Tests which may tip it over the edge and make you roll a Bottle Test!
- Couragous: Allowing you to re-roll a failed Bottle Test can prove invaluable, especially when you don't want to use up one of your Pilot's Re-Rolls and effectively doubles your chances of staying in the fight.
- Fearless: This one is a no-brainer - a Fearless Pilot automatically passes all Bottle Tests, although Pilots with this special rule are fairly uncommon and rare.
- Frightening | Frightening (X): Weaponry with the Frightening Special Rule causes Bottle Tests automatically, regardless of the damage they inflict (provided they actaully hit that is).
- Lucky: Although not directly tied to pilot morale, the extra per-turn re-roll allows you to re-roll Bottle Tests although Lucky is better then Couragous in that it can also be used for Evasion & To Hit rolls as well (although once per turn) - making it infinitely more flexible.
Article Tags: Tips & Tacticas
Some Other Blog Posts
When we introduced pilot Re-Rolls (RR) stat as we wanted the make choosing your Pilots slightly more difficult and give you another consideration - as before the only thing you could really review were their Accuracy - which was pretty easy and straight forward - you just used the most Accurate Pilot and that was that.