For a long while now, I've considered the quandary represented by the pilot cards and game balance.
Evolution of the Techniconica Cards
Since we started developing the game, the cards themselves have undergone a number of revisions, amendments and changes to make it through to the final versions you see here.
Aside from the obvious changes to individual cards (like increasing/decreasing stats etc), the cards started out as little more than old business cards we had lying around with scribbled down stats on them.
Play Test Cards
These allowed us to rapidly make changes to the rules & play test them cheaply without having to have the expense of creating individual card artwork and getting them printed. We could just change the values as necessary on the cards without worrying about getting them recreated.
Our initial play tests allowed us to spot one potential drawback to the rules as they were originally envisioned - you couldn't see the stats on the cards when you attached another card to it.
This lead to a slightly different version of the cards being created. These cards had the stats down the left-hand side and the name at the top as well as all the vital information being moved to the top and to the left of the card.
This alteration allowed us to "attach" a card and still see the important stats on the cards (see below).
With the play tests cards, we got to work creating the artwork for the cards - it took a while to get the look of the cards.
We went through numerous versions of each card's individual artworks - eventually turning to the ones on the cards now.
After a while, we decided we weren't entirely happy with the art direction for the game and re-developed the site's visuals, but we were stuck with card artwork that didn't match the site (as the two had matched before with steel textures, and yellow and black chevrons). At this point, we also changed the visual appearance of the rulebook as well so it matched the website.
We then decided to re-draw the card backgrounds (keeping the same basic template or layout on the cards) but merely making them match the visual look of the website (which you can see below).
Article Tags: Behind The Scenes